Coding for Unemployed
GoStack: Reboot Your Career
Tech Industry Alliance Skillnet, in partnership with Code Institute, is offering GoStack: Reboot Your Career coding bootcamp to unemployed learners from a wide range of backgrounds – from recent university graduates to those who have been in the job market for some time now. This 16-week, full-time training programme is fully funded by the Tech Industry Alliance Skillnet. The free course offers 25 places and it prepares learners for careers in the digital workforce as Software Developers. It is set to commence on November 27th.
The course covers common technical skills including;
In addition, learners acquire job-ready skills, such as Agile team management, collaborative pair programming, verbal presentation skills and undertake immersive career coaching content, all of which ensure learners have both the technical knowledge and behavioural skills to succeed in the workplace.
Training will be delivered in a blended format, combining live facilitation and self-directed study. Live facilitation could include Hackathons, Introduction and Employability sessions to foster relationships, promote team working and interact with local employers. On-site days will be delivered from employers’ sites to maximise employer/learner interaction and support as well as positive outcomes.
Learners will complete three collaborative hackathon challenges and a summative final capstone project whilst on the programme, thus creating a body of work that can be shown to prospective employers and support their future employment opportunities.
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old.
- Residing in Ireland: Non-EU citizens must have Stamp 4, Labour Market Access Letter or International Protection Status.
- Evidence of English language ability equivalent to IELTS Academic Level 6.0 if not a native speaker.
- Location: Commuting distance of Cork city and surrounding areas. Successful candidates must attend up to eight onsite days including three hackathons amongst other activities.
- Current employment status: Unemployed.
- Commitment: Must be committed to an intensive, full-time training schedule for 16 weeks and subsequently, securing employment following training completion.
- Aptitude: Completion of Code Institute’s 5-Step Coding Challenge. A logical thinker with a desire to learn and problem solve.
- Personal Statement and CV: Submit a min. 500-word personal statement and most recent CV.
- Interview: Pass a telephone interview hosted by Code Institute, which lasts approximately 25 minutes.
- Previous experience: The course is designed to take people with little or no coding experience but can show and aptitude for learning coding through the 5 Step Coding Challenge.
- In addition to having an interest in computer and software development, applicants must understand the course and the subsequent working environment.
- Comfortable studying online for extended periods and at a self-directed pace between live supports.
- Have access to a laptop/PC with a minimum 4 GB RAM. A second monitor is highly recommended.
Tentative weekly course curriculum
Onboarding, Intro to HTML, Agile behaviours, Careers.
Requires 1 day onsite
HTML to CSS, Problem-solving.
CSS Fonts & measurement units, Dealing with Distractions, Accountability.
Intro to an IDE and Git, Teamwork, personal retro.
UX, HTML & CSS project, Team planning, How to Estimate.
Bootstrap library, Team retros.
Bootstrap project, Lightning Jam & decision-making.
Hackathon 1, Careers, Intro to imperative languages, presentation basics.
Requires 2 days onsite
Requires 2 days onsite
Intro to Python.
Python & Postgres, using an ORM.
Intro to Python web frameworks, Django.
Building a blog app in Django, Hackathon.
Requires 2/3 days onsite
Capstone project week.
Capstone project week (summative assessment), Careers sessions & closing day.
Requires 1 day onsite
The final weekly curriculum will be confirmed following the assessment process completion.
By participating in the ‘GoStack: Reboot Your Career’ coding bootcamp, the learner will be able to;
How to apply
Follow the steps below to complete the application process:
Please note: Candidates must complete the short challenges (5-Step Coding Challenge with 100% progress score) and submit a minimum 500-word personal statement and most recent CV within five days of receiving their 5-Step Coding Challenge registration email, including booking their telephone interview.